So tomorrow is my first round of certification tests. I will be taking Early Childhood and TESOL. They are both 2hrs each and I believe I am signed up where I have a small break between them. I am nervous. I don't like tests. I took the CBASE 5yrs ago and my PRAXIS II tests 4yrs ago. I did really well on them but I have no idea what the MI tests will look like. It's not like it is something you study for but I will definitely be reviewing terms. When under pressure vocab/terms tend to fade a bit from my mind.
My next two tests are at the end of May. MI's version of the CBASE and Elementary Ed. Neither are allowed to be on the same day due to length. Luckily, I will be taking them on a computer at a testing site which means I should be able to move on/leave when parts are completed instead of on the time schedule.
Naturally, I am procrastinating looking over material. So I thought I would post some of my favorite recipes. Now here is the problem with me sharing recipes. I don't use measurements 90% of the time. I go by look, smell and taste. If you try these recipes you will have to make your own judgments.
Shredded Meat!
My basic and favorite is throwing turkey or chicken in the crockpot. It's great for meals or lunch meat through the week.
You need:
-Turkey/Chicken (breasts or whole bird)
-water (or stock)
-onion soup mix (I like the good stuff with chunks of onion in it)
Put just enough water(or stock) to cover the bottom of the crock pot. Rub the powdered onion soup mix on the bird of choice. Place in the crock pot on low 8-10hrs or on high for about 4hrs. The meat basically shreds itself and the seasoning adds a very light flavor. I usually make a gravy with the stock in the pot. To do this I just add a little flour and sometimes a little onion soup mix or Italian seasoning.
Parmesan Mashed Potatoes
This is a recipe I LOVE but I don't measure anything out. It's all proportional based on how much I want to make.
-Potatoes (yukon gold or russet)
-Milk
-Butter (a couple of T)
-garlic
-Shredded Parmesan (fresh is best, I grate my own)
-Italian seasoning mix
-Stock (your choice. I use fresh from crock pot meats)
-Hand mixer
Peel and dice the potatoes. Boil in water with garlic until potatoes are soft. Drain potatoes and return to the pot (or a large bowl). Add butter and a small amount of milk. Mash the potatoes. You will use a hand mixer to mix the potatoes the rest of the way. Add seasoning, parmesan and stock a little bit at a time. The potatoes should be fluffy and smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
-1 pound chicken (remove all fat/skin)
-2 small cans enchilada sauce
-1 medium onion, chopped
-1 small can chopped green chile peppers
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 can chicken broth (14.5 ounce)
-2 teaspoons cumin
-2 teaspoons chili powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-1 can of corn
-1 can of black beans
-A couple of diced tomatoes (or a can of rotel)
______
-fresh chopped cilantro
-Shredded mexican cheese
-Corn tortillas (cut into strips, pizza cutter works great)
-Veg Oil
Place everything (except the last 4) in the crock pot. Set on high 4hrs or low 7-8hrs. When chicken is fully cooked, carefully remove from crock pot, shred chicken, and then return to the pot. Add the chopped cilantro and stir. Let sit while you make the tortilla strips. Take the tortilla strips and lay them on a greased pan. Mist the tops with oil (you can brush them if you don't have a mister). Bake at 400 degrees, until strips are crispy. You will add the shredded cheese and toasted tortilla strips to the top of you soup bowls.
No comments:
Post a Comment